What Is an Excerpt?
An Excerpt is a brief summary of a blog post. This serves as a shortened version of your content - usually including just the blog intro or a general description - that appears on the blog page.
Excerpts provide key pieces of the post, and therefore, help blog readers easily identify which post contains the information they are looking for — without the need to open the full post.
Website Builder Blog gives you the freedom to customise or edit the excerpt of each of your blog post anytime. This can be done within your Post Editor.
Customising the Excerpt
Customise the excerpt of your blog posts using the steps below:
- Log In to access the Website Builder dashboard.
- Under My Sites, click the Edit Site option on the website or project card that you wish to manage.
- Click Blog from the left-side menu.
Note: If you can't find this option, make sure to enable Blog first before proceeding to these steps.
- You are now on the Blog sidebar. Click either the Published or Drafts tab depending on which post's excerpt you want to customise.
- Hover your pointer over the post title and click the [...] Ellipsis Icon on its right, then click the Edit option.
Or, you may just directly click the post title.
- You'll be immediately directed to the Post Editor. Click the [<] Toggle Icon on the upper-right corner of the page to open the post editor's sidebar.
- Scroll down to Excerpt. Enter a custom 200-character excerpt in the field provided. Otherwise, a default excerpt will be displayed by the system.
This setting is automatically saved and applied every time you make changes.
You've just successfully cusomised the excerpt of your blog post.