When getting a web hosting or even thinking about starting a website. You may have come across on WordPress. WordPress is a free and open-source content management system. It is one of the easiest to use and powerful CMS that exist. Mostly all web hosting companies offer the option to install WordPress by simply clicking the button. But, other website owners wish to install WordPress manually. And in this article, we’ll guide you on how to install it.
There are different ways but for the sake of this article, we’ll cover installing your WordPress using FTP. But first, you need to know the things you need.
- FTP Client
To make this work, make sure you have an FTP client installed on your computer to transfer your files from your computer and upload it to your website’s directory. You can read our getting started with FTP Setup & Access in this linked guide.
Creating a MySQL Database
One of the things that WordPress requires to operate properly is a database. You
have to create a database and a user account with full access and allowed
modification. This is an important part, and a key to make this work. Follow the steps in this guide to learn how to create MySQL database and user information.
Once you have your FTP Client and your MySQL setup. Continue reading the steps below to start installing your WordPress.
How to Install WordPress with FTP
Follow the steps below to manually install WordPress using FTP.
- Download the latest version of WordPress to your computer.
- Double-click the zip file downloaded and Extract it.
- Access your FTP Client, and provide the following on the necessary fields:
- Once you have logged in to your FTP Client, upload all the files to the public_html directory for the main domain.
If it is for an Add-on domain or a Subdomain, upload it to the corresponding folder given for such domain.
Note: If you don't want to create a new subdirectory for your WordPress site, upload the contents inside the downloaded file (Latest version of WordPress), NOT the folder itself.
- After uploading all the contents, open a browser and enter your domain and any relevant subdirectory.
Installation instructions will display on the next screen. WordPress will inform you about the necessary information you need before proceeding such as your database name, password, and MySQL host information. Just click Let's Go to continue.
- On the next page, enter your Database Name, Username and Password in the appropriate fields. Keep Database Host and Table Prefix as is. Then, click Submit.
- Click Run the install at the bottom of the success message on screen.
- On the Welcome page, enter Site Title, Username, Password and Email Address to setup your WordPress site.
Note: For future references, save your username and password.
Tick the box for Discourage search engines from indexing this site next to Search Engine Visibility if you do not want to be visible to search engines.
- Click Install WordPress to finish installation.
- WordPress is successfully installed. Enter your Log In details on the appropriate fields to start customising your site.
Aside from this, your FTP allows you to do manual updates to the latest version of WordPress on your website. Check out this linked guide to learn how. Please let us know if you need any further assistance, or if you have any questions. We’d love to help!