An ABN or Australian Business Number is an 11-digit number that is unique, e.g. 12 345 678 900, and is used by the government and community to exclusively identify your business. It is issued by the ABR (Australian Business Register), which is operated by the ATO (Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
The ABN is different from your Business Name and can be applied for separately or at the same time. It will not replace your business' tax file number, although, it is also used for different tax and business purposes.
Why Do I Need an ABN
Basically, you will need an ABN to do the following:
- Avoid the PAYG, or Pay as You Go, tax that is added in the payments that you receive.
- Register an Australian Domain Name, i.e., .com.au and .net.au Domain Names.
- Validate the identity of your business to others for orders and invoices.
- Claim GST, or Goods and Services Tax, credits.
- Claim energy grants credits.
It is important to note, though, that not everyone can be granted an ABN. If requirements are not met, the application will be rejected with a letter sent to the applicant explaining why.
Where Do I Apply for an ABN
You can apply for an Australian Business Name through the Australian Business Registrar. Or, you can also take advantage of our fast, online ABN application here at Crazy Domains by following the steps below:
- Add the .com.au Domain Name to your Shopping Cart.
- Click on the Shopping Cart icon at the top-right section of the page and click Go to Cart.
- Click Pay Securely.
- If you have not logged in yet to your account, enter your username and password, then click Log In.
- If you're a new customer, enter the required details and click Continue Order.
- Click Continue Order.
- On the Domain owner information required section, select I don't have ABN or ACN found at the bottom.
A note will appear below it with an Add to Cart button.
- Click Add to Cart.
Note: Clicking Add to Cart will remove all Australian Domains and related products attached to them from your Shopping Cart. You can re-apply for them once your ABN/ACN has been successfully set up.
- Click Confirm & Continue.
You will be routed to the Business Registration page where you can continue with your ABN application.
If all required information is provided during online application, you will automatically be notified online of the status of your ABN. In contrast, if the ABR is not able to confirm your business identity, the application will be reviewed by the ATO within 20 business days and may contact you if more information is needed.
Note: Any ABN application done through Crazy Domains is NOT free. A payment is needed to secure faster processing of your application.
How to Register a .AU Domain
If you've already secured an ABN, then you are now eligible to register for a .com.au or .net.au Domain Name. Simply visit the Domains section of our website and enter the desired Domain Name in the SEARCH box. If the Domain is available, you may click on the Add button to proceed with the registration. Note that you will be asked to enter your ABN upon check-out.
Note: Domain Name Registrations come at a first-come, first-serve basis, and .AU Domains can be registered at Crazy Domains for a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 5 years only.